Unfortunately, we have had to close schools for the remainder of the year; however, the State Department of Education has given us guidelines as to how to move forward with instruction; view the letter from Dr. Raley and Dr. Geyer.
Here are a few important pieces of information to answer some questions our families may have:
- Our talented and dedicated food service team will continue to serve meals to our students through Spring Break and until further notice. Meals are served at the secondary complex, Byrd Elementary, Randolph Elementary and through our Sunshine Food Bus. Remember that these meals (breakfast AND lunch) are FREE to ALL students. Students can receive these meals at ANY location.
- Money that has already been paid for field trips will be refunded in the coming weeks.
- Class pictures will be mailed home to those that ordered them and Spring pictures have been cancelled.
- Families can contact Ms. Pound if you need additional resources or help supporting your child’s learning at home. Email email@example.com or text or call 804-221-2288.
View a special video from the BES faculty.
Each teacher also prepared a learning plan outline designed to communicate the essential objectives, remote office hours, contact information, and a special message to parents/guardians. Please keep in mind, each of our teachers is available for support via their remote office hours, Monday-Friday from 9:00-10:00 a.m. and 2:00-3:00 p.m. throughout the next eight weeks.
For those families requesting curbside pick-up only: we will distribute instructional materials via curbside pickup on Tuesday, April 14, at all school locations between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m, and again between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Families participating in curbside pickup should follow specific instructions from school principals and remain in their vehicles until directed by a staff member on-site to collect their materials. We will exercise caution to implement all health guidelines during distribution.
Families do not need to make any special arrangements to receive their students’ instructional materials digitally. These materials will arrive directly to students’ GCPS-issued devices (iPads in grades 3-8 and laptops in grades 9-12) through web-based platforms like Schoology and Google. Packets are also available here.
Finally, many families have reached out to inquire about the submission of completed student work. Any completed work that can be turned in electronically may be arranged with students’ teachers. Completed work in paper copy form should simply be kept in a safe place for now. We’ll be in touch once schools reopen to communicate additional details.
Our technology team has worked tirelessly during our closure to provide our families with internet accessibility. We are excited to announce that we have enabled free WiFi at all of our school parking lots near the front office/main entrance areas.
Ability to connect may vary based on your device and your proximity to the access point. The network name is “Public Wireless”, and no password is required. Users are still subject to GCPS content filtering while using the access points. There is no time limit or bandwidth usage limit on these access points.
Please be sure to practice all recommended social distancing if you are in the parking lots with other community members.
Goochland Sheriff’s Office
- 911 Emergency
- 804-556-5349 Non-emergency
- Please call the Goochland Sheriff’s Office for any concerns of imminent danger.
Goochland Powhatan Community Services Board
- (804) 556-3716 24-hour Crisis Line
- (804) 598-2200 or (804)-556-5400
- A local mental health and substance use services resource providing same day access to Goochland and Powhatan residents.
- (804) 556-626
- A community service organization providing a food pantry, medical and dental needs, financial Assistance, and assistance to victims of sexual/domestic violence.
National Suicide Prevention Hotline
- 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Text TalkWithUs to 66746
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress.
National Domestic Violence Hotline
- 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Text Loveis to 22522
- Talk or text confidentially to highly trained expert advocates 24/7 if you are experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of your relationship.
Crisis Support Line
- Text HOME to 741741
- Connect free 24/7 with a crisis counselor.
Additional Enrichment Ideas
- Do you love the Pigeon books? LUNCH DOODLES with Mo Willems!
- Be Creative! While home, save your recyclable items (cardboard tubes, cardboard boxes from food, plastic containers, etc) to create items from STEAM Learning Menus
- Art at Home
- Tired of being stuck at home? Go on a virtual field trip!
- Author, Kate Messner (Ranger in Time book series), has put together a collection of read alouds with writing challenges (Grades 2-5)
- Get outside! Complete an Outdoor Science Scavenger Hunt
- Virtual Field Trips for April and May